Review of Schemes Sub Committee Minutes

Date:
Friday 4 March 2016
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries

Attendance Details

Members:
Tom A McAughtrie (Chairman)-Abbey
Ian Carruthers-Annandale South
Alistair Geddes-Mid Galloway
Ivor A Hyslop-Lochar
Jane S Maitland (Substitute)-Dee
Willie Scobie-Stranraer and North Rhins
Colin Smyth-Nith
Officials:
Lorna Meahan - Director Corporate Services
Rhona Lewis - Head of Legal and Democratic Services
Claire Thomson - Governance Officer
Apologies:
Richard Brodie - Annandale South
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

6 Members present, 1 apology (for whom a substitute had been appointed)

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

NONE declared

3 MINUTE OF MEETING OF 22 JANUARY 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED

 

MEMBER - Colin Smyth entered the meeting - 7 Members present

4 SCHEME OF ADMINISTRATION AND DELEGATION TO COMMITTEES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED

 

4.1      the revised Scheme of Administration and Delegation to Committees (the Scheme) as attached at the Appendix to the report, and the amendments made reflecting this Committee’s directions and as highlighted in the report;

 

4.2      the delegations drafted in relation to the Children, Young People and Lifelong Learning Committee and Social Work Services Committee within the Appendix  to the report and the advice of the Chief Social Work Officer at paragraph 3.1.17 in the report;

 

NOTED

 

4.3      the inclusion of the delegations to the Integration Joint Board were now included for completeness within the Appendix to the report;

 

4.4      that the main service functions included within the delegations to Committees were summarised in the Appendix to the report, reflecting the new Directorate functions;

 

4.5      the inclusion of information on Committee numbers was also included within the Appendix to the report, to provide complete information;

 

AGREED

 

4.6      the delegation on transformation and improvement highlighted at paragraph 3.3 of the report, and that this matter be updated within the Scheme, reflecting Full Council’s previous decisions on the Shape of the Council Transformation programme reported quarterly to the Full Council;

 

4.7      that the Scheme should clearly define the rights of  teacher, religious and parent council representatives in relation to remaining in the meeting following consideration of mainstream education and cross-service matters determined at the Children, Young People and Lifelong Learning Committee;

 

4.8      that the Scheme should clearly define the remit of the Enterprising Sub Committee in relation to the operation of the Enterprising Service, its trading activities, tendering for works contracts and the business management and development of the service; and

 

4.9      that, subject to clarity on the points set out above, no further revisions or changes were required to the Scheme and to recommend the updated Scheme to Full Council for approval.

 

MEMBER - Ian Carruthers requested that his dissent be recorded in respect of the above decision, having failed to find a seconder for his motion that (1) the Harbours Sub Committee should include harbours not previously identified and also those outwith Council ownership; and (2) that there be a standing Sub Committee to monitor and have oversight of procurement, tendering, contract management and commissioning, taking account of past recommendations by the Scrutiny and Performance Committee.

5 REVIEW OF STANDING ORDERS - STANDING ORDER 13 - WITHDRAWAL OF DELEGATION - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

 

Decision

 

5.1      NOTED the request to review Standing Order 13 - Withdrawal of Delegation and the options presented at paragraph 4.5 in the report; and

 

AGREED

 

5.2     to retain the status quo, being that all Notices of Motion be considered at Full Council with requirement to withdraw delegation in respect of any delegated matter; and

 

5.3      to reiterate Members' rights in accordance with Standing Orders 13 and 16.2 as they currently exist.

 

MEMBER - Willie Scobie requested that his dissent be recorded in respect of the above decision, having failed to find a seconder for his amendment that all Notices of Motion be considered either by Full Council or the appropriate Committee (not Sub-Committees or Area Committees).

6 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

Decision

 

NOTED that there was no business deemed urgent by the Chairman due to the need for a decision.