Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee Minutes

Date:
Thursday 9 March 2017
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries

Attendance Details

Members:
Colin Smyth (Chairman) - Nith
Craig Peacock (Vice-Chairman) - Annandale East and Eskdale
Ian Carruthers - Annandale South
Iain Dick - Stranraer and North Rhins
Archie Dryburgh - Annandale East and Eskdale
Grahame Forster - Wigtown West
Alistair Geddes - Mid Galloway
Patsy Gilroy - Dee
Jeff Leaver - Lochar
Denis R Male - Annandale East and Eskdale
Jim McClung - Wigtown West
Marion McCutcheon - Stranraer and North Rhins
Ronnie Nicholson - North West Dumfries
Ronnie E Ogilvie - Annandale South
George N Prentice - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Willie Scobie - Stranraer and North Rhins
Stephen Thompson - Annandale North
Officials:
Alistair M Speedie - Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure
David Gardiner - Service Manager Business and Enterprise
Ewan Green - Head of Economic Development
Steven Herriott - Head of Infrastructure and Transportation
John Howell - Service Manager Network Strategy
Lucy Irons-Young - Governance Officer
Duncan McDonald - Principal Engineer
Steve Rogers - Head of Planning and Regulatory Services
Bryan Scott - Countryside Development Officer
Aileen Woods - Team Leader Infrastructure
In attendance:
Douglas Wilson - Regional Director VisitScotland
Apologies:
Jack Groom - Nith
Ivor A Hyslop - Lochar
Graham Nicol - Mid Galloway
Roberta Tuckfield - Wigtown West
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

16 Members present, 3 apologies and 1 not present at the start of the meeting.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Jim McClung declared an interest in item 7 by virtue of the fact that he was Director of Dumfries and Galloway Small Communities Housing Trust and had determined that his interest was such that he would remain in the meeting for consideration of this item.

3 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 19 JANUARY 2017

Decision

 

APPROVED.

4 MINUTE OF ENTERPRISING SERVICES SUB COMMITTEE OF 10 JANUARY 2017

Decision

 

APPROVED.

 

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon entered the meeting - 17 Members present

5 INFRASTRUCTURE AND VEHICLE/FLEET ASSET CLASSES CAPITAL PROGRAMMES 2017/18 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

APPROVED

 

5.1   the proposed programme budget for the Vehicle/Fleet Asset Class Capital Programme 2017/18 (Table 1);

 

5.2   the proposed Vehicle/Fleet replacement programme 2017/18, reported in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

5.3   the proposed programme budgets for the Infrastructure Asset Class Capital Programme 2017/18 (Table 2);

 

5.4   the proposed list of Infrastructure Asset Class Capital Projects 2017/18, reported in Appendix 2 to the report subject to a further report on the additional projects to be funded from the Policy Development Funding capital allocation of £1.28m agreed by Full Council on 28 February 2017; and

 

5.5   AGREED for officers to look again at the junction options in relation to the new hospital currently under construction at Garroch Loaning in conjunction with the NHS, gaining further feedback from the public to evolve the proposals and come back to the June 2017 meeting of this Committee with costings and options.

6 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE - CONSULTATION RESPONSES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

6.1   CONSIDERED the responses received to the Part 1 Wind Energy Development: Development Management Considerations supplementary guidance consultation, and AGREED the Council’s recommended response and the proposed modifications, where relevant, in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

6.2   CONSIDERED the responses received to the Historic Built Environment supplementary guidance and AGREED the Council’s recommended response and the proposed modifications, where relevant, in Appendix 2 to the report;

 

AGREED

 

6.3   to remit with powers to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services to notify Scottish Ministers of the Council’s intention to adopt the Part 1 Wind Energy Development: Development Management Considerations and the Historic Built Environment as statutory supplementary guidance as detailed at paragraph 3.14 in the report; and

 

6.4    to adopt the Part 1 Wind Energy Development: Development Management Considerations and the Historic Built Environment as statutory supplementary guidance following completion of the relevant adoption procedures as detailed at paragraph 3.15 in the report.

7 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN: DEVELOPER CONTRIBUTIONS SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE UPDATE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED

7.1   to the changes to the supplementary guidance indicated as Option 1 within the options set out in Table 1;

 

7.2   to remit with powers to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services to draft the necessary changes to the adopted Developer Contributions Supplementary Guidance (Appendix to the report) to reflect any amendments agreed by this committee;

 

7.3   that the updated Developer Contributions Supplementary Guidance be issued as a draft for six weeks public consultation as detailed at paragraph 3.3.1 in the report; and

 

7.4   to receive a report back to this Committee with the outcome of the public consultation along with any further proposed changes before considering adopting the Supplementary Guidance as detailed at paragraph 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 in the report.

8 RESPONSE TO SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT CONSULTATION ON THE FUTURE OF THE SCOTTISH PLANNING SYSTEM - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED the response to the consultation with amendments from Members regarding on the future of the planning system as set out in paragraphs 3.4 to 3.14 in the report.

 

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon left the meeting - 16 Members present

9 RESPONSE TO SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT CONSULTATION ON UNCONVENTIONAL OIL AND GAS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

VOTE

 

9.1   MOTION by ARCHIE DRYBURGH seconded by RONNIE E OGILVIE to agree that the response to the consultation on Unconventional Oil and Gas ( UOG) be that the Council does not support UOG extraction and, in particular, it is opposed to fracking, and requests that the Scottish Government should not allow UOG in Scotland

 

9.2   AMENDMENT by IAIN DICK seconded by STEPHEN THOMPSON to agree the response to the consultation on Unconventional Oil and Gas as contained in the Appendix to the report with the removal of "currently unproven" from question 9.

 

9.3   On a vote being taken by roll call, Members voted as follows:

 

Motion - 8 votes being:

 

Colin Smyth, Craig Peacock, Archie Dryburgh, Jeff Leaver, Jim McClung, Ronnie Nicholson, Ronnie E Ogilvie and Willie Scobie.

 

Amendment - 8 votes being:

 

Ian B Carruthers, Iain Dick, Grahame Forster, Alistair Geddes, Patsy Gilroy, Denis R Male, George N Prentice and Stephen Thompson.

 

There being an equality of votes, the Chairman exercised his right to a casting vote which fell in favor of the motion.

 

Decision

 

AGREED that the response to the consultation on Unconventional Oil and Gas ( UOG) be that the Council does not support UOG extraction and, in particular, it is opposed to fracking, and requests that the Scottish Government should not allow UOG in Scotland

 

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon re-entered the meeting - 17 Members present

10 SOCIAL/COMMUNITY TRANSPORT - PUBLIC SOCIAL PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

10.1   NOTED the ongoing partnership work to develop a Public Social Partnership for social/community transport;

 

AGREED

 

10.2   the draft Memorandum of Understanding included as the Appendix to this report;

 

10.3   that the current strategic grant allocation of £13,595 be utilised for the development of the Public Social Partnership for social/community transport from financial year 2017/18; and

 

10.4   that the policy development funding of £100,000 for Social/Community Transport Pubic Social Partnership development as allocated by Full Council on 28 February 2017 be utilised in financial year 2017/18.

11 ANNAN HARBOUR - OWNERSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

11.1   the Board membership of the Annan Harbour Trust as detailed in paragraphs 3.2 to 3.5 in the report;

 

11.2   the probable area of the Annan Harbour quay in the ownership of Dumfries and Galloway Council and the harbour limits as detailed in paragraphs 3.6 to 3.10 in the report;

 

11.3   the positive works of the Annan Harbour Action Group and Council responsibilities as detailed in paragraphs 3.11 to 3.25 in the report; and

 

11.4   AGREED to receive a further report on what the Council’s responsibility is in terms of harbour assets, possible sources of funding and also detailing the responsibilities of others for the operation of the harbour.

12 INFRASTRUCTURE PRIORITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY TRANSPORT SUMMIT - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

12.1   the Dumfries and Galloway Transport Summit Final Report (Appendix 1 to the report);

 

12.2   the Council’s response to the Dumfries and Galloway Transport Summit stakeholder engagement process (Appendix 2 to the report); and

 

12.3   AGREED the Council’s priorities in lobbying for transportation infrastructure developments and transportation service improvements within Dumfries and Galloway (Appendix 3 to the report subject to amendments to Increasing stopping services at Lockerbie timescale to be amended to Short Term and amendments to Support for improvements to the A77 south of Girvan linking the Cairnryan Ferry hub and Support for improvements to the A75 linking the Cairnryan Ferry hub and the M74 to state that improvements should include the provision of enhanced and regular overtaking opportunities for traffic in both directions).

 

ADJOURNMENT - The meeting was adjourned at 12.45 for lunch and reconvened at 1.25pm with 14 Members present being:

 

Colin Smyth, Craig Peacock, Ian B Carruthers, Iain Dick, Archie Dryburgh, Alistair Geddes, Patsy Gilroy, Jeff Leaver, Jim McClung, Denis R Male, Ronnie Nicholson, Ronnie E Ogilvie, George N Prentice and Stephen Thompson.

13 ECONOMIC INCLUSION PROGRAMME: YOUTH GUARANTEE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Ian B Carruthers left the meeting during consideration of this item - 13 Members present

 

Decision

 

NOTED

13.1  the progress made in supporting the Youth Guarantee and delivery of associated projects as detailed at paragraphs 3.1 - 3.9 in the report; and

 

13.2   the outcomes of the programme and projects to date and the added value provided by future developments proposed as detailed at paragraphs 3.14 - 3.17 in the report.

 

MEMBER - Ian B Carruthers re-entered the meeting - 14 Members present

14 VISITSCOTLAND REVIEW OF VISITOR INFORMATION PROVISION - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

14.1   NOTED the strategic approach for visitor information provision suggested by VisitScotland in the forthcoming years as outlined at section 3.9 - 3.17 and FURTHER AGREED that Members be kept up to date on progress with visitor information services for the public and discussions around coastal route development similar to the North Coast 500;

 

AGREED

 

14.2   to Dumfries and Galloway Council entering into a one year agreement with VisitScotland for the provision of marketing and partnership activities for 2017/18 with a budget of £170,000 as outlined at section 3.20 in the report; and

 

14.3   to the remaining budget of £35,000 to be allocated towards tourism product development activities as set out in the Dumfries and Galloway Regional Tourism Strategy 2016-2020.

15 BORDERLANDS INCLUSIVE GROWTH INITIATIVE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Patsy Gilroy left the meeting during consideration of this item - 13 Members present

 

Decision

 

15.1   NOTED the partnership working between the Local Authority partners to progress a Borderlands Initiative;

 

15.2   ENDORSED the Borderlands Inclusive Growth Initiative as set out in Appendices 1 and 2 to the report;

 

AGREED

 

15.3   to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding or similar to formalise the partnership arrangements with the participating authorities;

 

15.4   to present the Framework to both the UK and Scottish Governments as a basis for negotiating further investment in the area to accelerate the delivery of priority projects;

 

15.5   to undertaking a period of pro-active engagement with stakeholders to secure wider buy-in and support for the Initiative;

 

NOTED

 

15.6   the allocation of £150,000 as part of a partnership funding package required to progress the programme and project development to the next stage as detailed in sections 3.11 and 3.13 in the report;

 

15.7   that a report will be brought to a future Committee for Members to consider which projects should be prioritised for development within Dumfries and Galloway.

16 SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT ENTERPRISE AND SKILLS REVIEW: DEVELOPMENT OF PHASE 2 REPORT - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

16.1   progress made in developing Phase 2 of the Scottish Government Enterprise and Skills Review;

 

16.2   that the South of Scotland Alliance endorsed the approach detailed in this report at its meeting on 3 March 2017;

 

AGREED

 

16.3   the Council’s position as detailed in sections 3.7 to 3.26 which has been developed in collaboration with Scottish Borders Council;

 

16.4   to submit this as the Council’s position to the Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Jobs and Fair Work as an ‘in principle’ proposal from the Council as detailed in section 3.29;

 

16.5   NOTED that the Chief Executive will continue to engage with Scottish Government and stakeholders in order to develop a detailed proposal for a South of Scotland Enterprise and Skills vehicle in line with 2.3 above; and

 

16.6   AGREED to receive a future report once further detail is as detailed in section 3.28 in the report.

17 WIGTOWN BAY LOCAL NATURE RESERVE BYELAWS - REVIEW - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

17.1   NOTED the revised byelaws (Appendix 2 to the report) that will be submitted for formal consultation as outlined in paragraph 3.5 in the report; and

 

17.2   AGREED to delegate to the Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure responsibility to undertake formal consultations and in conjunction with Scottish Government and FURTHER AGREED for a report to be brought back to this Committee on any necessary changes to the byelaws as a result of that consultation and to thereafter implement the byelaws.

18 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

Decision

 

NOTED that there was no business deemed urgent due to the need for a decision.

19 LOCAL GOVERNMENT SCOTLAND ACT 1973

Decision

 

AGREED adoption of resolution to exclude the public from the meeting in terms of Section 50A (4) and paragraph 12 of Part 1 of Schedule 7A of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

EXEMPT
20 RESOLVING PUBLIC ACCESS DISPUTE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Report Summary - This report provides information on a public access dispute along a track.

 

Decision

 

20.1   NOTED the current position in relation to the access dispute outlined in section 3 of the report;

 

AGREED

 

20.2   that legal enforcement action is required and supported in order to resolve the current access dispute as per paragraphs 4.13-4.23 in the report; and

 

20.3   to delegate to the Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure and the Head of Legal and Democratic Services to agree the mechanism to undertake any enforcement actions in relation to public access at the location under applicable law.