Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee Minutes

Date:
Tuesday 15 November 2016
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries

Attendance Details

Members:
Colin Smyth (Chairman) - Nith
Craig Peacock (Vice-Chairman) - Annandale East and Eskdale
Ian Carruthers - Annandale South
Iain Dick - Stranraer and North Rhins
Archie Dryburgh - Annandale East and Eskdale
Grahame Forster - Wigtown West
Alistair Geddes - Mid Galloway
Patsy Gilroy - Dee
Ivor A Hyslop - Lochar
Jeff Leaver - Lochar
Denis R Male - Annandale East and Eskdale
Marion McCutcheon - Stranraer and North Rhins
Ronnie Nicholson - North West Dumfries
Graham Nicol - Mid Galloway
Ronnie E Ogilvie - Annandale South
George N Prentice - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Roberta Tuckfield - Wigtown West
Officials:
Alistair M Speedie - Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure
Stewart Cameron - Business Manager
Simon Fieldhouse - Environment Manager
Ewan Green - Head of Economic Development
Steven Herriott - Head of Infrastructure and Transportation
Lucy Irons-Young - Governance Officer
Douglas Kirkpatrick - Transportation Manager Lead Officer SWESTRANS
Caroline McQuistan - Finance Officer
Peter Norman - Biodiversity Officer
Steve Rogers - Head of Planning and Regulatory Services
Chris Wood-Gee - Team Leader Sustainable Development
Aileen Woods - Team Leader Infrastructure
Apologies:
Brian Collins - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Jim H Dempster - Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Jack Groom - Nith
Jim McClung - Wigtown West
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

17 Members present and 4 apologies.

 

PROCEDURE - The Chairman advised the Committee that Item 10 on the agenda had been withdrawn and would not be considered at the meeting today.

 

PROCEDURE - The Chairman congratulated the Planning Service on their success at the Scottish Awards for Quality in Planning 2016 where Dumfries and Galloway Council received 3 awards for Dark Skies Friendly Lighting Guidance; Raising Design Standards Across the Region and Householder Application Performance Improvement Project.

 

MEMBER - Ian B Carruthers left the meeting - 16 Members present

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

2.1   Alistair Geddes declared an interest in items 11 and 16 by virtue of the fact that he was a Member of the Biosphere Partnership Board and the Southern Uplands Partnership and had determined that his interest was such that there was no requirement for him to leave the meeting during consideration of these items.

 

2.2   Ronnie E Ogilvie and Colin Smyth declared an interest in item 12 by virtue of the fact that they were both Members of a Local Group in Eastriggs in relation to the Stations and had determined that their interest was such that there was no requirement for them to leave the meeting during consideration of this item.

3 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 13 SEPTEMBER 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED.

Finance Items
4 ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE MONITORING REPORT 2016-17 FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 30 SEPTEMBER 2016 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

4.1   that based on the first six months expenditure, Economy, Environment and Infrastructure (EEI) was currently projected to an overspend of £452k which represents 1.1% of the EEI budget as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

4.2   that the EEI management team was implementing a range of measures to ensure expenditure was contained within agreed budgets;

 

4.3   progress against the agreed savings applied to the 2016/17 EEI Services as detailed at Appendix 2 to the report; and

 

4.4   utilisation of policy development allocations provided to EEI for the financial year 2016/17 as detailed at Appendix 3 to the report.

5 ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, VEHICLES/FLEET, INFRASTRUCTURE CAPITAL PROGRAMME AND STREET LIGHTING SPEND TO SAVE PROJECTS 2016/17: FINANCE AND PROGRESS MONITORING - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

5.1   the financial updates on the Economic Development, Vehicles/Fleet and Infrastructure Capital Programmes as reflected in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 to the report;

 

5.2   the progress of the Infrastructure and Vehicles / Fleet Capital Programmes in Appendices 4 and 5 to the report;

 

5.3   AGREED the inclusion of additional schemes in the Carriageway Resurfacing and Drainage Programmes, paragraphs 3.20 and 3.22 of the report;

 

NOTED

 

5.4    the progress of the Core Paths programme Appendix 6 to the report;

 

5.5   the progress of the Street Lighting spend to save programme, paragraphs 3.38-3.40 of the report;

 

5.6   the award of Sustrans Safer Routes to Schools funding, paragraphs 3.41-3.44 of the report; and

 

5.7   that the Sandhead Primary School Access improvement work would require the acquisition of title from DGHP and the responsibly for ongoing maintenance of this asset, as detailed in paragraph 3.47 of the report.

Performance Items
6 DIRECTOR’S SIX MONTH ASSESSMENT OF BUSINESS PLAN PERFORMANCE - ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE 2016/17 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

6.1   REVIEWED the six month summary of performance for Economy, Environment and Infrastructure set out at Appendix 1 to the report;

 

6.2   SCRUTINISED the exception reporting in Appendix 2 to the report and CONSIDERED the actions proposed were adequate to improve performance and future monitoring of areas which have not met the target; and

 

6.3   FURTHER AGREED for a Member Seminar to be arranged to allow Member input into Community Transport Provision and for Broadband coverage update reports to be presented quarterly to Area Committees.

Strategic Items
7 DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY TRANSPORT SUMMIT CONSULTATION - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

7.1   NOTED the draft Dumfries and Galloway Transport Summit Report (Appendix 1 to the report); and

 

7.2   AGREED the Council’s response to the Dumfries and Galloway Transport Summit Stakeholder Engagement (Appendix 2 to the report) with the addition to Langholm being considered as part of any extension to the Borders Railway towards Carlisle and FURTHER AGREED for a copy of the submission to be sent to the UK Government highlighting the issues of the current restrictions on Dumfries and Galloway Council being able to act as a PSV Bus Operator.

8 ROADS MAINTENANCE REVIEW - ANNUAL STATUS REPORT - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

8.1   the findings of the Audit Scotland report: Maintaining Scotland’s Roads: A Follow up Report, published on 4 August 2016 and AGREED the actions for addressing the recommendations as detailed in Table 1 of the report;

 

8.2   the historical trend of the condition of the carriageway asset based on the Road Condition Index (RCI), as detailed in Table 2 and Figure 1 of the report, including the recently issued 2016/17 survey figures;

 

8.3   AGREED the continuation of a Preventative Maintenance approach to future investment in the carriageway infrastructure as detailed in paragraphs 3.12-3.17 of the report, noting that even with undertaking the optimisation of spend across road class and treatment type, road condition, as measured by the RCI, is predicted to continue deteriorating; and

 

8.4   NOTED the findings of the National Highways and Transport (NHT) Survey as detailed in paragraphs 3.20-3.25 of the report and Appendix to the report.

9 MEMBER REPRENTATION ON THE SCOTTISH COUNCILS COMMITTEE ON RADIOACTIVE SUBSTANCES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED to appoint Ronnie E Ogilvie to represent Dumfries and Galloway Council on the Scottish Councils Committee on Radioactive Substances.

10 ANNAN HARBOUR - OWNERSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED that this item had been WITHDRAWN from the agenda.

11 NATIONAL PARK DEVELOPMENT PROPOSAL- REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

11.1   the approach made to Dumfries and Galloway Council by members of the Scottish Campaign for National Parks (SCNP) and the Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland (APRS);

 

11.2   the current position in relation to the proposed development of a National Park;

 

AGREED

 

11.3   that the Council should be actively involved in any proposals being developed locally; and

 

11.4   to receive future reports outlining the progress made on the development of a National Park.

 

MEMBER - Grahame Forster left the meeting - 15 Members present

12 SCOTTISH STATIONS FUND STAG PRE-APPRAISALS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Grahame Forster re-entered the meeting during consideration of this item - 16 Members present

 

Decision

 

NOTED

 

12.1   the outcome of the four Scottish Transport Appraisal Guidance (STAG) pre-appraisals for the Thornhill, Eastriggs, Beattock/Moffat and Dunragit/Glenluce areas; and

 

12.2   the decision by the SWestrans Board to progress the Thornhill, Eastriggs and Beattock/Moffat areas proportionately through the next stage of the STAG process.

13 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2 - DEVELOPMENT PLAN SCHEME - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED

 

13.1   the Development Plan Scheme and to its publication and distribution to Stakeholders - Appendix to the report; and

 

13.2   to remit with powers to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services to make further minor technical and consequential modifications to the Development Plan Scheme as required to improve presentation and ensure consistency.

14 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN - THE HISTORIC BUILT ENVIRONMENT SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED

 

14.1   the draft supplementary guidance for Historic Built Environment (Appendix to the report) be issued for public consultation; and

 

14.2   to receive a report back to this Committee with the outcome of the public consultation along with any proposed changes before considering adopting the Supplementary Guidance.

15 PILOT PROJECT TO TACKLE THE ILLICIT PUPPY TRADE IN COLLABORATION WITH SCOTTISH SPCA - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

15.1   that there is a significant problem nationally with respect to the illicit trade of puppies and that it impacts on Dumfries and Galloway as a large number of the puppies travel through our ports en route to their destination elsewhere in the UK; and

 

15.2   the arrangements put in place under the pilot project to provide authorisation to Scottish SPCA inspectors and AGREED that the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services be authorised to extend these for a further period of up to 12 months; and

 

15.3   FURTHER AGREED for a monitoring report to be brought back to this Committee after 6 months.

16 CLIMATE CHANGE DUTIES REPORT 2015-16 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

16.1   NOTED the progress made towards delivery of public body duties for climate change; and

 

16.2   APPROVED the content of the mandatory Climate Change Duties Report 2015-16 at Appendix 2 to the report and AGREED the declaration at 6e was to be signed by the Chairman of the Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee and the Director of Economy, Environment and Infrastructure.

 

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon left the meeting - 15 Members present

17 INVASIVE NON-NATIVE SPECIES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Ronnie Nicholson left the meeting during consideration of this item - 14 Members present

 

Decision

 

17.1   NOTED current position with regard to invasive non-native species, as detailed in paragraphs 3.1 - 3.12 of the report;

 

AGREED

 

17.2   the need for a Council policy with regard to invasive non-native species;

 

17.3   to a further report, supporting a Council policy document, to be brought before this committee in 2017 at the earliest opportunity and for this report to include the role of partners; and

 

17.4   FURTHER AGREED for this policy to be presented to Area Committees once developed.

 

MEMBERS - Patsy Gilroy and Roberta Tuckfield left the meeting - 12 Members present

18 THE FUTURE OF FORESTRY IN SCOTLAND CONSULTATION - DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY COUNCIL RESPONSE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

18.1   the background information and consultation documents supplied by the Scottish Government, Appendix 1 to the report;

 

18.2   the consultation period culminating on Wednesday 9 November 2016; and

 

18.3   AGREED the draft consultation response submitted, as detailed at Appendix 2 to the report.

19 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

Decision

 

NOTED that there was no business deemed urgent by the Chairman due to the need for a decision.