Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee Minutes

Date:
Tuesday 13 September 2016
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries

Attendance Details

Members:
Craig Peacock (Chairman)-Annandale East and Eskdale
Jim H Dempster-Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Iain Dick-Stranraer and North Rhins
Archie Dryburgh-Annandale East and Eskdale
Alistair Geddes-Mid Galloway
Patsy Gilroy-Dee
Jeff Leaver-Lochar
Denis R Male-Annandale East and Eskdale
Jim McClung-Wigtown West
Marion McCutcheon-Stranraer and North Rhins
Ronnie Nicholson-North West Dumfries
Ronnie E Ogilvie-Annandale South
George N Prentice-Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Officials:
Alistair M Speedie - Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure
Hazel Cannon - Senior Technician Environment
Robert Cowie - Service Manager Roads
Simon Fieldhouse - Environment Manager
Gillian Flack - Senior Technician Environment
Ewan Green - Head of Economic Development
Sandra Harkness - Service Manager Trading Standards
Steven Herriott - Head of Infrastructure and Transportation
John Howell - Service Manager Network Strategy
Lucy Irons-Young - Governance Officer
James McLeod - Infrastructure Manager
Adrian Pringle - Landscape Architect
Steve Rogers - Head of Planning and Regulatory Services
Nicola Simpson - Community Assets Manager
Janet Sutton - Finance Officer
Moira Weatherup - Waste Prevention Officer
Aileen Woods - Team Leader Infrastructure
Apologies:
Colin Smyth (Chairman) - Nith
Ian Carruthers - Annandale South
Brian Collins - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Grahame Forster - Wigtown West
Jack Groom - Nith
Ivor A Hyslop - Lochar
Graham Nicol - Mid Galloway
Roberta Tuckfield - Wigtown West
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

PROCEDURE - In the absence of the Chairman the Vice-Chairman assumed the role of Chairman for the meeting.

 

12 Members present, 8 apologies and 1 not present at the start of the meeting.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Alistair Geddes declared an interest in item 11 by virtue of the fact that he was a Member of the Biosphere Partnership Board and in relation to funding contained within the report and determined that his interest was such that he would leave the meeting during consideration of this item.

 

MEMBER - Iain Dick entered the meeting - 13 Members present

3 MINUTE OF DGFIRST MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE MEETING OF 3 JUNE 2016

Decision

 

NOTED.

4 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 14 JUNE 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED.

5 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 1 JULY 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED subject to amendment to Upper Nithsdale Project allocations contained with Appendix to Item 5 'Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Services Proposed Capital Expenditure Programme 2016-19 for Economic Development Projects' to reflect the figures agreed in the report to Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee in January 2016. (Appendix 1).

6 MINUTE OF HOUSING SUB COMMITTEE MEETING OF 12 JULY 2016

Decision

 

NOTED.

Finance Items
7 ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE MONITORING REPORT 2016-17 FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 30 JUNE 2016 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

7.1   that based on the first three months’ expenditure, Economy, Environment and Infrastructure (EEI) is currently projected to an overspend of £378k which represents 0.97% of the EEI budget as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

7.2   that the EEI management team are implementing a range of measures to ensure expenditure is contained within agreed budgets;

 

7.3   progress against the agreed savings applied to 2016/17 Economy, Environment and Infrastructure as detailed at Appendix 2 to the report; and

 

7.4   utilisation of policy development allocations provided to Economy, Environment and Infrastructure for the financial year 2016/17 as detailed at Appendix 3 to the report.

8 ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, VEHICLES/FLEET, INFRASTRUCTURE CAPITAL PROGRAMME AND STREET LIGHTING SPEND TO SAVE PROJECTS 2016/17: FINANCE AND PROGRESS MONITORING - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

PROCEDURE - The Committee was circulated amendments to Appendix 1 and Appendix 3 to the report along with a letter from Nicola Sturgeon, First Ministers in response to the Chairman's letter about the Solway Flood Risk Management Plan (Appendix 2).

 

Decision

 

NOTED

 

8.1   the financial updates on the Economic Development, Vehicles/Fleet and Infrastructure Capital Programmes as reflected in Appendices 1, 2 and 3 to the report (as amended Appendix 2);

 

8.2   the progress of the Infrastructure and Economic Development Capital Programmes in Appendices 4 and 5 to the report;

 

AGREED

 

8.3   the list of proposed vehicle/fleet replacements reported in Appendix 6 to the report;

 

8.4   the inclusion of additional schemes in the Carriageway Surface Dressing, Strengthening and Resurfacing and Forestry Routes (Discrete) Programmes, paragraphs 3.7 to 3.9 and 3.13 in the report;

 

8.5   NOTED the progress of the Core Paths programme Appendix 7 to the report;

 

AGREED

 

8.6   that funding bids for Safer Routes to Schools funding are made as identified in paragraphs 3.40 to 3.42 in the report and that any successful award be accepted;

 

8.7   to add additional projects to the cycleway programme in relation to North-west Campus school, Dumfries, Dalbeattie Road/Park Road to Troqueer and in relation to other Schools for the Future projects, should the need for cycleway works in the vicinity of these schools be identified, as paragraphs 3.35 to 3.40 in the report;

 

8.8   that the projects identified at paragraphs 3.30 to 3.41 in the report form the core of the Cycleways programme and that bids for external funding be made as appropriate;

 

8.9   that a bid for Community Links funding be submitted for the scheme at Dee Walk, Kirkcudbright, if progression of scheme development makes this appropriate, and implement as funding allows;

 

8.10   to add footway buildout works on A709 High Street, Lochmaben to the programme and implement as funding allows;

 

8.11   NOTED the progress of the Street Lighting Spend to Save Programme to date;

 

8.12   AGREED the spend of General Capital Grant of £1.536M for flood protection schemes, paragraphs 3.50 to 3.51 in the report, and further agree that the additional capital flood monies of £172k be allocated to flood studies, minor works and the installation of temporary defence measures at Carsphairn as detailed in paragraphs 3.52 to 3.54 in the report; and FURTHER AGREED to continue to lobby Scottish Government to assist in funding rural schemes not designated as Potential Vulnerable Areas (PVAs);

 

NOTED

 

8.13   the progress of the application for Additional Funding of Flood Damaged Infrastructure, paragraph 3.55 in the report;

 

8.14   the options presented and agree the proposed solution, with an estimated cost of £1.14M, part funded by the Additional Funding of Flood Damaged Infrastructure, for the B6318 Landslip at Glentarras, Langholm as detailed in paragraphs 3.56 to 3.58 in the report, further noting that should Grant monies not be forthcoming, a further report will be brought to this Committee; and FURTHER AGREED to discuss with Transport Scotland the issues of the B6318 being used as an informal local diversion route for the A7T and the consequential difficulties for larger vehicles negotiating Tarras Bridge;

 

8.15   that to progress the option recommended by Wigtown Area Committee for improvements to the steps to Sandhead Primary School it will be necessary for Members of this Committee and AGREED to top-slicing £115k from the Infrastructure Asset Class Capital Programme 2017/18 Budget as detailed in paragraphs 3.59 to 3.62 in the report.

 

MEMBERS - Denis R Male and Marion McCutcheon left the meeting - 11 Members present

9 ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE BUDGET 2016/17 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

REVIEWED and AGREED the Economy, Environment and Infrastructure budget 2016/17 as detailed in the Appendix to the report.

 

MEMBER - Denis R Male and Marion McCutcheon re-entered the meeting - 13 Members present

Strategic Items
10 PERFORMANCE REPORT - PLANNING AND ENVIRONMENT SERVICES AND DGFIRST STRATEGIC COMMISSIONS 2015-16 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

PROCEDURE - The Committee were advised of an amendment to page 159 of the papers where the last Progress to 31 March 2016 measure should read "The Stranraer reuse project has secured significant funding for its reuse centre.  Building designs are being worked on by the Reuse Consortium".

 

Decision

 

REVIEWED the performance of the Planning and Environment Services and DGFirst Strategic Commissions for the 12 month period ending 31 March 2016 as detailed in Sections 3 and the Appendix to the report - Strategic Commissions Summary Performance Framework 2015-16.

 

MEMBER - Alistair Geddes left the meeting - 12 Members present

11 GALLOWAY AND SOUTHERN AYRSHIRE BIOSPHERE RESERVE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon left the meeting during consideration of this item - 11 Members present

 

Decision

 

11.1   NOTED and APPROVED the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Strategy (Appendix 1 to the report) and the associated objectives and outcomes from 2017 - 2022;

 

NOTED

 

11.2   that the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere through the Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) and the Board of Trustees will be responsible for delivering against the strategy through annual work plans as detailed in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

11.3   AGREED to support the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere through the establishment of a Service Level Agreement (Appendix 2 to the report);

 

NOTED

 

11.4   the wider partnership funding arrangements (Appendix 3 to the report) incorporated to support the Galloway and Southern Ayrshire Biosphere, including South and East Ayrshire Councils, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH), Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) and the Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) to promote and develop projects that support the aims and objectives of the Biosphere for its entire geographic area; and

 

11.5   the current range of activities and work areas being supported through the existing Next Steps project (Appendix 4 to the report).

 

MEMBER - Alistair Geddes re-entered the meeting - 12 Members present

12 GALLOWAY GLENS LANDSCAPE PARTNERSHIP SCHEME - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

12.1   NOTED the background and planned development stage of the Galloway Glens Scheme, as detailed at paragraphs 3.1 to 3.15 in the report, culminating in the submission of the stage 2 bid to The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF), scheduled for summer 2017;

 

12.2   AGREED to receive a draft of the delivery phase (Stage 2) HLF application at a future committee;

 

12.3   NOTED the draft partnership agreement, as detailed at Appendix 2 to the report;

 

AGREED

 

12.4 that the Council should support the proposed partnership agreement, acting as the accountable body for the Galloway Glens Scheme; and

 

12.5 to nominate Councillor Patsy Gilroy to sit on the Galloway Glens Scheme Partnership Board, as detailed in paragraphs 3.19 to 3.22 in the report.

 

ADJOURNMENT - The meeting was adjourned for lunch at 12.45pm and reconvened at 1.20pm with 10 Members present being:

 

Craig Peacock, Jim H Dempster, Iain Dick, Alistair Geddes, Patsy Gilroy, Jeff Leaver, Jim McClung, Denis R Male, Ronnie Nicholson and Ronnie Ogilvie.

13 SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT: ENTERPRISE AND SKILLS REVIEW - CONSULTATION RESPONSE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

13.1   CONSIDERED the draft consultation response detailed in the Appendix to the report; and

 

13.2   AGREED the Council’s submission to the Scottish Government’s Enterprise and Skills Review.

14 NATIONAL STRATEGIC REVIEW OF TRADING STANDARDS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

14.1   NOTED that the delivery of trading standards services is currently under review with the intention of establishing a new delivery model that may have a significant impact on local governance and accountability;

 

AGREED

 

14.2   that a future Scottish delivery model on trading standards needs to meet our Councils local priorities and commitments and be locally governed and accountable;

 

14.3   to support that further work should be carried out nationally to ensure that trading standards will have an adequate and capable workforce and that this should be integrated with Scottish Government policy development on Consumer Protection, as detailed in paragraphs 3.4.1 to 3.4.3 in the report; and

 

14.4   to receive a further report as detailed in paragraph 3.6.5 in the report.

15 REVIEW AND UPDATE OF THE LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE; PART 1 WIND ENERGY DEVELOPMENT: DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT CONSIDERATIONS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED

 

15.1   the updated Supplementary Guidance: Part 1 Wind Energy Development: Development Management Considerations (Appendix to the report) and additional assessments as detailed in paragraph 3.5 below be issued for public consultation; and

 

15.2   to receive a report back to this Committee in January 2017 with the outcome of the public consultation along with any proposed changes before considering adopting the Supplementary Guidance.

16 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

Decision

 

NOTED that there was no business deemed urgent by the Chairman due to the need for a decision.

17 LOCAL GOVERNMENT SCOTLAND ACT 1973

Decision

 

AGREED adoption of resolution to exclude the public from the meeting in terms of Section 50A (4) and paragraph 6 of Part 1 of Schedule 7A of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973.

EXEMPT
18 CONTAMINATED LAND UPDATE AND PRIORITISATION - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Report Summary - To advise Members of the status of the contaminated land inspection and assessment strategy and agree the prioritisation of future works.

 

MEMBER - Iain Dick left the meeting during consideration of this item - 9 Members present

 

Decision

 

AGREED recommendation 2.1 as per the report and 2.2 to read "that where the Council believe that insufficient progress is being made with sites through voluntary agreement this will be reported to this Committee for approval to proceed with enforcement action as outlined in paragraphs 4.1 to 4.3 in the report" and 2.3 to read "the Council agree in principle to meet the costs of remediation works associated with domestic premises land purchased prior to the 14 July 2000 subject to each case being assessed and considered on its own individual merits by this Committee as outlined paragraphs 4.4 to 4.6".