Economy, Environment and Infrastructure Committee Minutes

Date:
Tuesday 15 March 2016
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries

Attendance Details

Members:
Colin Smyth (Chairman) - Nith
Craig Peacock (Vice-Chairman) - Annandale East and Eskdale
Ian Carruthers - Annandale South
Finlay Carson - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Jim H Dempster - Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Iain Dick - Stranraer and North Rhins
Grahame Forster - Wigtown West
Alistair Geddes - Mid Galloway
Patsy Gilroy - Dee
Jack Groom - Nith
Jeff Leaver - Lochar
Denis R Male - Annandale East and Eskdale
John Martin - Nith
Jim McClung - Wigtown West
Ronnie Nicholson - North West Dumfries
Ronnie E Ogilvie - Annandale South
George N Prentice - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Roberta Tuckfield - Wigtown West
Officials:
Alistair M Speedie - Director Economy, Environment and Infrastructure
Keith Armstrong-Clark - Harbour Master
Chris Brown - Service Manager Business and Enterprise
Ewan Green - Head of Economic Development
Steven Herriott - Head of Infrastructure and Transportation
John Howell - Service Manager Network Strategy
James McLeod - Service Manager Infrastructure
Steve Rogers - Head of Planning and Building Standards
In attendance:
Neil Hewitson - Police Inspector
David Scott - Flood Risk Planning Manager (South West), Scottish Environment Protection Agency
Apologies:
Brian Collins - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Marion McCutcheon - Stranraer and North Rhins
Graham Nicol - Mid Galloway
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

18 Members present and 3 apologies.

 

PROCEDURE - The Chairman provided the Committee with an update on the South of Scotland Alliance meeting from 8 February 2016 and would circulate a briefing note to all Members.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

NONE declared.

3 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE MEETING OF 12 JANUARY 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED.

4 MINUTE OF HOUSING SUB COMMITTEE MEETING OF 19 JANUARY 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED.

5 MINUTE OF ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE COMMITTEE MEETING OF 9 FEBRUARY 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED.

Finance Items
6 INFRASTRUCTURE ASSET CLASS CAPITAL PROGRAMMES 2016/17 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

APPROVED

6.1   the proposed programme budgets for the Infrastructure Asset Class Capital Programme 2016/17 (Table 1 of the report);

 

6.2   the proposed list of projects reported in Appendix 1 and Appendix 2 to the report;

 

6.3   AGREED the proposed transfer of the Contaminated Land Remediation Programme from the Land Asset Class Capital Programme to the Infrastructure Asset Class Capital Programme;

 

ACCEPTED

 

6.4   any future grant award from the Scottish Government for the Cycling, Walking and Safer Streets Programme (paragraph 3.31 of the report);

 

6.5   any potential grant funding if awarded, from Sustrans, for Community Links funding (paragraph 3.28 of the report);

 

6.6   any potential grant funding if awarded, from the Strategic Timber Transport Scheme, for the C102a Laverhay to Boreland (paragraph 3.32 of the report); and

 

6.7   FURTHER AGREED for a report to be brought to a future meeting of this Committee prior to the budget setting process and for this report to include road condition data, budget allocation figures and the maintenance backlog for the road network across the region.

Strategic Items
7 FLOOD RISK MANAGEMENT (SCOTLAND) ACT 2009 - LOCAL FLOOD RISK MANAGEMENT PLAN - ACTION PRIORITISATION - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

NOTED

7.1   that the Actions for the first cycle (2016-2021) contained with the Local Flood Risk Management Plan (LFRMP) for the Solway Local Plan District (LPD) are as published by SEPA in their Solway LPD Flood Risk Management Strategy in December 2015;

 

7.2   that in some areas that have suffered flooding, most recently in December 2015, there are no works programmed to be undertaken during the first cycle (2016-2021);

 

7.3   that many of the Actions to manage flood risk will be delivered by others, e.g. SEPA and Scottish Water, and these are not detailed within this report;

 

AGREED

 

7.4   the delivery primarily from existing revenue and capital budgets of the Actions (see Table 1 and Table 2 of the report) for which Dumfries and Galloway Council are Delivery Lead during the first cycle (2016-2021) of the Solway LPD LFRMP to be published in June 2016, principally: (i) Region-wide actions - maintenance (clearance and repair), self help (including property level protection), emergency plans/response, planning policies and awareness raising (including property level protection) as detailed in section 3.10 of the report and Appendix 1 to the report; (ii) The delivery of flood studies for Kirkconnel, Moffat, Creetown, Dalbeattie, and Moniaive as detailed in section 3.13 of the report; (iii) A refresh of the Shoreline Management Plan be undertaken to better inform any future investment in coastal infrastructure and the future coastal flood studies as detailed in sections 3.14 - 3.15 of the report; (iv) The delivery of a natural flood management study for the Dee catchment (potentially beneficial for Castle Douglas and Kirkcudbright) as detailed in section 3.16 of the report and Appendix 2 to the report; (v) The delivery of surface water plans/studies for Dumfries and Annan as detailed in sections 3.17 - 3.19 of the report; (vi) The support of two established flood action groups as detailed in sections 3.32 - 3.34 of the report; (vii) The maintenance of various flood protection (prevention) schemes as detailed in sections 3.35 - 3.36 of the report; (viii) The delivery of the Whitesands flood protection scheme;

 

7.5   the development and delivery of flood protection schemes at Langholm and Newton Stewart and completion of flood protection works at Stranraer as detailed in sections 3.21 - 3.31 of the report (and Appendices 3-6 to the report) subject to successful completion of statutory procedures and the identification of funding, taking into account the timing of the availability of Scottish Government grant support;

 

7.6   that further development work on the Carsphairn Flood Study is completed utilising existing revenue funding and further agree that, if a scheme is proven to be deliverable, to lobby the Scottish Government for grant funding to support the identified scheme;

 

NOTED

 

7.7   that at this Committee on 14 June 2016 Members will be provided a brief report and weblink to the final version of the Local Flood Risk Management Plan for the Solway Local Plan District prior to publication by end June 2016 and for this report to include timescales for projects in the action plan; and

 

7.8   that the delivery of flood protection schemes for Langholm, Newton Stewart and Carsphairn will require future consideration as part of the ongoing development of the Council’s Capital Investment Strategy at Policy and Resources Committee and further note that it will be necessary to maintain current revenue funding levels to ensure the delivery of the flood studies and a refresh of the Shoreline Management Plan as detailed in sections 3.13 - 3.19 of the report.

 

MEMBER- Patsy Gilroy left the meeting - 17 Members present

8 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN - SUPPLEMENTARY GUIDANCE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED

 

8.1   the residential annexes planning guidance is adopted as non-statutory planning guidance to the Local Development Plan as set out in Appendix 1 to the report;

 

8.2   CONSIDERED the responses received to the developer contributions supplementary guidance consultation, AGREED the Council’s recommended response and the proposed modifications, where relevant, in Appendix 2 to the report and for officers to amend the Council Response to comments made by Scottish Water;

 

8.3   to remit with powers to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services to notify Scottish Ministers of the Council’s intention to adopt the developer contributions as statutory supplementary guidance as detailed at paragraph 3.12 of the report;

 

8.4   to adopt the developer contributions as statutory supplementary guidance following completion of the relevant adoption procedures as detailed at paragraph 3.13 of the report; and

 

8.5   to note the ongoing work as outlined in paragraphs 3.7 - 3.9 of the report with the Council’s Education Service in identifying which schools are likely or unlikely to require a developer contribution and to remit with powers to the Head of Planning and Regulatory Services and the Head of Education approval of the likelihood table and to approve any revisions to the table as and when required, as a result of changes in school capacity.

9 RESPONSE TO SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT CONSULTATION ON DRAFT PLANNING AND DELIVERY ADVICE: HOUSING AND INFRASTRUCTURE - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Decision

 

AGREED the Council’s consultation response contained in the Appendix to the report.

 

MEMBER - Patsy Gilroy re-entered the meeting - 18 Members present

10 DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY REGIONAL TOURISM STRATEGY 2016 - 2020 - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Iain Dick left the meeting during consideration of this item - 17 Members present

 

Decision

 

10.1   APPROVED the Dumfries and Galloway Regional Tourism Strategy 2016-2020 (Appendix 1 to the report); and

 

10.2   AGREED to the Regional Tourism Strategy being the recognised approach to supporting the tourism sector in Dumfries and Galloway.

 

MEMBER- Iain Dick re-entered the meeting - 18 Members present

11 DALBEATTIE - OBJECTION TO PROPOSED SPEED LIMIT ORDER - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

VOTE

 

11.1   MOTION by JIM MCCLUNG seconded by ALISTAIR GEDDES to implement the decision from November 2015 which includes an extension of the 30mph speed limit on the A710 to immediately south of its junction with C60s High Street.

 

11.2   AMENDMENT by PATSY GILROY seconded by GEORGE N PRENTICE to implement a 40mph speed limit on the currently unrestricted length of the A710.

 

11.3 On a vote taken by roll call, Members voted as follows:

 

Motion - 15 Members being:

 

Colin Smyth, Craig Peacock, Ian B Carruthers, Finlay Carson, Jim H Dempster, Iain Dick, Grahame Forster, Alistair Geddes, Jack Groom, Jeff Leaver, Jim McClung, John Martin, Ronnie Nicholson, Ronnie E Ogilvie and Roberta Tuckfield.

 

Amendment - 3 votes being:

 

Patsy Gilroy, Denis R Male and George N Prentice.

 

Decision

 

11.4   NOTED the objection received as per Appendix 2 to the report;

 

11.5   CONSIDERED whether Members wished to agree implementation of a 40mph speed limit on the currently unrestricted length of the A710 and FURTHER AGREED to implement the decision from November 2015 which includes an extension of the 30mph speed limit on the A710 to immediately south of its junction with C60s High Street ; and

 

11.6   AGREED that Police Scotland and Dalbeattie Community Council be advised accordingly.

 

MEMBER - Jack Groom left the meeting - 17 Members present

Finance Items
12 HARBOUR FEES AND CHARGES - REPORT BY DIRECTOR ECONOMY, ENVIRONMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

MEMBER - Denis R Male left the meeting during consideration of this item - 16 Members present

 

VOTE

 

12.1   MOTION by GRAHAME FORSTER seconded by PATSY GILROY to agree the recommended fees and charges for the new services being provided at Stranraer Harbour as set out in the Appendix to the report.

 

12.2   AMENDMENT by JIM McCLUNG seconded by IAIN DICK to agree to a promotional discount of 20% for the first 12 months following implementation of the fees and charges for the new services being provided at Stranraer Harbour as set out in the Appendix to the report.

 

12.3   On a vote being taken by roll call, Members voted as follows:

 

Motion - 7 votes being:

 

Ian B Carruthers, Finlay Carson, Grahame Forster, Alistair Geddes, Patsy Gilroy, George N Prentice and Roberta Tuckfield.

 

Amendment - 9 votes being:

 

Colin Smyth, Craig Peacock, Jim H Dempster, Iain Dick, Jeff Leaver, Jim McClung, John Martin, Ronnie Nicholson and Ronnie E Ogilvie.

 

Decision

 

AGREED to a promotional discount of 20% for the first 12 months following implementation of the fees and charges for the new services being provided at Stranraer Harbour as set out in the Appendix to the report.

13 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

Decision

 

NOTED that there was no business deemed urgent by the Chairman due to the need for a decision.