Dumfries and Galloway Council Minutes

Date:
Tuesday 28 March 2017
Time:
10:30am
Place:
Council Offices, English Street, Dumfries (Reports)

Attendance Details

Members:
Ronnie Nicholson (Leader)-North West Dumfries
Ted Thompson (Depute Leader)-Lochar
Graham Bell-North West Dumfries
Richard Brodie-Annandale South
Rob Davidson-Abbey
Jim H Dempster-Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Iain Dick-Stranraer and North Rhins
Archie Dryburgh-Annandale East and Eskdale
Gillian Dykes-Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Douglas Fairbairn-Annandale North
Andy Ferguson-North West Dumfries
Grahame Forster-Wigtown West
Alistair Geddes-Mid Galloway
Patsy Gilroy-Dee
Yen Hongmei Jin-Lochar
Jeff Leaver-Lochar
Gail Macgregor-Annandale North
Jane S Maitland-Dee
Denis R Male-Annandale East and Eskdale
John Martin-Nith
Tom A McAughtrie-Abbey
Jim McClung-Wigtown West
Jim McColm-Mid Galloway
Marion McCutcheon-Stranraer and North Rhins
David J McKie-North West Dumfries
Graham Nicol-Mid Galloway
Ronnie E Ogilvie-Annandale South
Craig Peacock-Annandale East and Eskdale
George N Prentice-Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Willie Scobie-Stranraer and North Rhins
Davie Stitt-Abbey
John Syme-Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Alastair Witts-Nith
Andrew S Wood-Mid and Upper Nithsdale
Apologies:
Ian Blake - Abbey
Ian Carruthers - Annandale South
Karen Carruthers - Annandale East and Eskdale
Finlay Carson - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Brian Collins - Castle Douglas and Glenkens
Peter Diggle - Annandale North
Jack Groom - Nith
Ivor A Hyslop - Lochar
Sean W Marshall - Annandale South
Colin Smyth - Nith
Stephen Thompson - Annandale North
Roberta Tuckfield - Wigtown West
Colin Wyper - Dee
Item Number Item/Description
PUBLIC
1 SEDERUNT AND APOLOGIES

33 Members present, 13 apologies and 1 Member not present

 

PROCEDURE - The Leader advised that he had an item of business deemed urgent due to the need for a decision and that this item would be taken in private at the end of the meeting

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

2.1     Iain Dick declared an interest in Item 11 -  Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 Scheme for Assistance by virtue of fact that he was involved in Food Train and had determined that his interest was such that there was no requirement for him to leave the meeting during consideration of the item.

 

2.2     Jim Dempster, Andy Ferguson, Denis Male and Ted Thompson declared an interest in Item 11 - Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 Scheme for Assistance by virtue of the fact that they were Members of the Integration Joint Board and had determined that their interest was such that there was no requirement for them to leave the meeting during consideration of the item.

 

2.3     Jim McClung declared an interest in Item 13 - by virtue of the fact that his wife is employed by Care and Support Services (CASS) but he would be raising issues voiced to him by other employees and had determined that his interest was such that there was no requirement for him to leave the meeting during consideration of the item.

3 MINUTE OF MEETING OF 15 DECEMBER 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED

4 MINUTE OF MEETING OF 29 DECEMBER 2016

Decision

 

APPROVED

5 MINUTE OF MEETING OF 28 FEBRUARY 2017

Decision

 

APPROVED

6 DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY COUNCIL RESPONSE TO POLICE SCOTLAND CONSULTATION ON SERVING A CHANGING SCOTLAND - OUR 10 YEAR STRATEGY FOR POLICING IN SCOTLAND - REPORT BY DIRECTOR COMMUNITIES

Decision

 

AGREED the response to the Police Scotland consultation on Serving a Changing Scotland - Our 10 Year Strategy for Policing in Scotland, but to include additional comments on the Policing of major events (particularly charging) and Police Scotland Information Technology

7 CHILDREN'S SERVICES PLAN - REPORT BY CHIEF EXECUTIVE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

7.1     the progress made through the previous planning period and external confirmation of progress by the Care Inspectorate as identified in paragraphs 3.1 and 3.2 of the report;

 

7.2     the previous and ongoing investment in policy/project initiatives as identified in paragraph 3.3 of the report; 

 

AGREED

 

7.3     the Dumfries and Galloway Children’s Services Plan 2017- 2020 as detailed at the Appendix to the report; 

 

7.4     the reporting arrangements for the Plan as detailed at paragraph 3.6 of the report.; 

 

NOTED

 

7.5     the multi-agency focus on protecting and supporting our most vulnerable, reducing inequality and intervening early (Priorities 1-4); (i) We will ensure that children and young people are safe and free from harm; (ii) We will ensure children and young people get support at the earliest appropriate time through prevention and early intervention; (iii)  We will improve the wellbeing and life chances of our most vulnerable children and young people; and (iv) We will work to reduce or remove barriers so that all children and young people have equality of opportunity; and

 

7.6     our ambition for high quality Universal Services delivery to support all young people (Priorities 5-6); (v) We will deliver the best possible health and wellbeing for all children and young people; (vi) We will raise attainment and be ambitious for all children and young people; 

 

7.7     that the Plan is to be considered by Dumfries and Galloway NHS Board on 3 April 2017; and

 

7.8     that a summary document is to be developed to ensure accessibility of information for interested parties and, in particular, our young people

 

MEMBER - Marion McCutcheon entered the meeting - 34 Members present

 

8 DIGITAL SCOTLAND SUPERFAST BROADBAND UPDATE - REPORT BY CHIEF EXECUTIVE

Decision

 

NOTED

 

8.1     the current position of 76.8% of premises having access to Broadband across Dumfries and Galloway compared to 26% without project intervention as referenced in sections 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 of the report;

 

8.2     the additional reinvestment by Digital Scotland to enable an additional 1,038 premises to have access to fibre broadband and a further 2,114 premises to have access to speeds of greater than 24Mbps, beyond that originally planned to be delivered under the main contract as referenced in section 3.4.1 of the report,

 

8.3     that the final planned coverage by December 2018 which is supported by the Council's £12.6m investment will be 96.3% against an ambitious planned target of 95%; and

 

8.4     AGREED that our Council continues to lobby the Scottish and Westminster Governments for the delivery of improved mobile and broadband infrastructure in our Region particularly to prioritise the delivery of broadband to those 3,200 (3.7%) of premises who are not planned to benefit from the main Digital Scotland Superfast Broadband programme as referenced in section 3.5.2 of the report

9 EQUALITY ACT 2010 - STATUTORY REPORTS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED

 

9.1     the Council’s Equalities Action Plan Progress Report (Appendix 2b to the report) and Mainstreaming Equalities Report for 2015-17 at Appendix 3a to the report, noting the significant improvements achieved in relation to profile and diversity awareness through campaigns and events and the Council’s relationship with diversity groups;

 

9.2    the workforce information for the Mainstreaming report 2015-17 at Appendix 3b of the report;

 

9.3     the updated Equalities Outcomes for 2017-21 for publication as set out at 3.9 of the report; and

 

9.4    the Council’s Gender Pay Gap report, the Occupational Segregation reports, the Equal Pay Statement and Improvement Plan for publication, noting the Gender Pay Gap in 2016 is 6.23% for main staff groups and a reduction of 5.76% has been achieved since 2013 (Appendix 4 to the report)
 

MEMBER - Patsy Gilroy left the meeting - 33 Members present

10 TREASURY MANAGEMENT STRATEGY AND PRUDENTIAL INDICATORS - REPORT BY HEAD OF FINANCE AND PROCUREMENT

Decision

 

AGREED

 

10.1    the Prudential Indicators, as detailed at Appendix 1 to the report, as the underlying framework to support the Council's Capital Investment Strategy;

 

10.2     the Council's Treasury Management Strategy Statement and Annual Investment Strategy for 2017/18, as detailed at appendix 2 to the report; and

 

9.3     NOTED that both the prudential indicators and treasury management activities will be subject to continual monitoring and, where appropriate, amendment during the course of the upcoming financial year

 

MEMBER - Patsy Gilroy re-entered the meeting - 34 Members present

11 HOUSING (SCOTLAND) ACT 2006 SCHEME OF ASSISTANCE - REPORT BY HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES

Decision

 

11.1     NOTED that the funding recommendations set out were considered at the 6 March 2017 meeting of the Council’s Housing Sub Committee and were recommended to be referred to Dumfries and Galloway Council for agreement;

 

AGREED

 

11.2     the transfer of £1.198 million from the Council to the Dumfries and Galloway Health and Social Care Integration Joint Board to support the ongoing delivery of the Care and Repairs Service as detailed at section 3.2 of this report;

 

11.3     to an allocation of £149k to the Integration Joint Board to fund the Small Repairs and Home Support Services as detailed at section 3.3 of the report; and

 

11.4     to an allocation of £37,400 to the Integration Joint Board to fund Food Train Extra as detailed at section 3.4 of this report.
 

MEMBER - Andrew Wood left the meeting - 33 Members present
 

12 HOME ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROGRAMMES FOR SCOTLAND: AREA BASED SCHEME 2017/18 - REPORT BY HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICES

Decision

 

12.1     AGREED to withdraw delegation from Housing Sub Committee;

 

12.2     NOTED the funding allocation of £1,916,545 for the Dumfries and Galloway Council Home Energy Efficiency Programmes for Scotland - Area Based Scheme in 2017/18; and

 

12,3     AGREED the projects for 2017/18 detailed at 3.4 of the report and to engage with and lobby Scottish Government to expand the Scheme.

13 LIVING WAGE FOR ADULT SOCIAL CARE WORKERS AND THE ETHICAL CARE CHARTER - REPORT BY HEAD OF SOCIAL WORK/CHIEF SOCIAL WORK OFFICER

Decision

 

NOTED

 

13.1     the arrangements in place to ensure that the Living Wage is maintained for all adult social care workers as detailed in paragraph 3.10 of the report;

 

13,2     the activities to date which both incorporate UNISON’s Ethical Care Charter and promote and encourage suppliers and employers across the sectors to adopt good practice (Appendices 1 and 2 of the report; and

 

13.3     AGREED to work in partnership with the Integration Joint Board to ensure that the Living Wage is maintained for all adult social care workers and that regular reports are brought back to the appropriate Committee  
 

14 SHAPE OF THE COUNCIL - FURTHER PROGRESS REPORT - REPORT BY CHIEF EXECUTIVE

Decision

 

NOTED the progress achieved in the period since December 2016

15 PROCUREMENT STANDING ORDERS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED

 

15.1     to revoke the current Procurement Standing Orders, effective from 29 March 2017; 

 

15.2     the adoption of the Procurement Standing Orders provided at the Appendix of this report, effective from 29 March 2017; and 

 

15.3     to recommend to the new Council that a Procurement Standing Orders Sub Committee be established and for the new Council to determine its delegations

 

MEMBER - Iain W Dick left the meeting - 32 Members present
 

16 AMENDMENTS TO STANDING ORDERS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED the amendments to Standing Orders as detailed at paragraphs 3.3.3; 3.3.4; 3.3.5 and 3.4 of the report.

 

MEMBER - Iain W Dick re-entered the meeting - 33 Members present

17 SCRUTINY AND PERFORMANCE COMMITTEE REVIEW: ACCESS TO SERVICES AND USE OF PUBLIC BUILDINGS - REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED the recommendations from the Scrutiny and Performance Committee Review of Access to Services and Use of Public Buildings as detailed in the Appendix to the report

18 SCRUTINY AND PERFORMANCE COMMITTEE REVIEW: TOWN AND VILLAGE IMPROVEMENTS- REPORT BY DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES

Decision

 

AGREED the recommendations from the Scrutiny and Performance Committee Review of Town and Village Improvements as detailed in the Appendix to the report

19 ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT BY THE CHAIRMAN DUE TO THE NEED FOR A DECISION

19.1     MINUTES FOR APPROVAL/NOTING

 

Decision

 

Summary as detailed in the Appendix

 

19.2     LOCAL GOVERNMENT (SCOTLAND) ACT 1973

 

Decision

 

AGREED to adopt a resolution to exclude the public from the meeting in terms of Section 50a (4) of paragraphs 9 of Part 1 Schedule 7a to the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973

 

19.3     GALLOWAY VIKING HOARD - Report by Director Communities

 

Summary of Report - The report asks Members to consider correspondence from the Scottish Archaeological Finds Allocations Panel (SAFAP) to the Queen’s and Lord Treasurer’s Remembrancer (QLTR) 

 

Decision

 

19.3.1     AGREED to withdrawn delegations from the Communities Committee

 

19.3.2     NOTED the correspondence by the Scottish Archaeological Finds Allocations Panel regarding the Galloway Viking Hoard; and

 

19.3.4     AGREED to delegate authority and remit the Director Communities to undertake further communications with Scottish Archaeological Finds Allocations Panel and National Museums Scotland in line with the Council’s previously stated position of securing title and access to the Galloway Viking Hoard.